Jojoba Oil (pronounced as ho-ho-ba oil) is the natural extract derived from the seeds of jojoba plant. Scientifically known as Simmondsia chinensis, the shrub of jojoba has its home primarily in southern Arizona, southern California, and northwestern Mexico. Interestingly, Jojoba oil is not really an oil (as it contains very few triglycerides (an ester derived from glycerol and three fatty acids (from tri-and glyceride).Triglycerides are the main constituents of body fat in humans and other animals, as well as vegetable fat) ). It’s actually the wax extracted from the seeds of the plant which was initially derived to treat wounds and cuts by natives. Slowly, it’s uses became popular across the world and now it’s used everywhere in daily skin and hair care routine as an essential ingredient.
Being full of antioxidants, nutrients and minerals, Jojoba oil has numerous benefits. We are sharing some of them here for you:
1) Super nourishing and hydrating: As said above, jojoba oil is light in texture it not only gets absorbed in skin faster but also last longer. As the jojoba oil is very close to skin’s natural sebum, it acts as a natural barrier and helps retain moisture locked in the skin thereby making it nourished and glowing.
2) Reduces acne: As jojoba oil resembles very closely to skin’s natural oil, it helps in balancing its secretion thereby reducing clogged pores which results in less acne. It not only helps on controlling acne breakouts, but also reduces the marks and blemishes caused by acne.
3) Helps reduce sunburn effects: Although we all use sunscreens to protect our skin from harsh UV rays, there’s always something we need to hydrate and treat our dry and damaged skin after sun exposure. Jojoba oil comes as best remedy as it not only moisturizes the skin gently but its anti-inflammatory properties helps reducing redness after skin giving your skin a great relief after sun.
4) Blessing for your lips and cuticles: Jojoba oil works great on chapped lips. It not just makes them soft but also heals them. It also works great as a cuticle oil and helps keep your cuticles soft.
5) Makeup Remover: Yes, you read it right. Jojoba oil works great as a makeup remover. It not just cleans away your makeup gently but also nourishes it making it smooth and healthy.
6) Anti-aging: High in vitamin E, jojoba oil acts as a great anti-aging agent. It repairs skin’s damaged cell and increases cell regeneration thereby making skin more healthy and younger looking. Higher levels of vitamin E also helps in delaying the appearance of fine lines and other signs of aging.
7) Reduces dark circles: As said above, jojoba oil being high in Vitamin E, helps reduces dark circles.
8) Great for hairs: Vitamins and other nutrients present in jojoba oil makes it a great conditioner for hairs. As it is light in texture, it doesn’t clog pores in scalp thereby helps to maintain oil levels in the scalp. It also enhances hair growth and if used regularly, improves the quality of hairs over a period of time making them healthier and shining.
Jojoba oil clearly is a great potion for skin and hairs both. It can easily replace coconut oil in a daily regime. Here are the ways jojoba oil can be better than coconut oil:
– Long lasting: As jojoba oil is not actually oil, its shelf life is longer than coconut oil.
– As a cleaning agent for skin: As mentioned above, jojoba oil doesn’t clog pores, it’s definitely a better cleanser than coconut oil.
– Moisturizer: As coconut oil turns solid below a certain temperature it can solidify and block pores but jojoba oil doesn’t solidify.
– Helps in razor burns: Jojoba oil, if used before shaving, can help reduce razor burns and irritation caused by shaving.